Wednesday, February 1, 2012

A Guest at Freshly Made Sketches

I am thrilled and honored today to be a guest designer at Freshly Made Sketches AND I get to be part of their challenges for all of February!!  They are the perfect challenge for me - they are looking for clean and fresh, but not necessarily simple.  In their own words:


We are looking for clean-lined creations but unlike Clean and Simple challenges, we encourage lots of detail and embellishments as long as they maintain a "clean" look to your card.

And...I love the fact that if they highlight your card - you are a Princess or a Queen!!  It's not often that a woman whose dream day is a day in oversize sweats with inky fingers and glitter in her eyebrows gets to be royalty!

For this week's sketch, I put together a Valentine for my 7-year old niece.  (Hey SIL! Do NOT show this post to your daughter!)





This card is 3 1/4 x 6 1/4 which fits an envelope made by Stampin' Up.  It's a fun and unique size with which to work.

This card was actually planned to be even cleaner than it is.  I knew there was a Valentine in the Stampin' Up set Gift Givers but the set was stashed away in a room in which my son was napping.  (He is 16 years old, but at 6'4" he needs his growing sleep!)  I put the rest of the card together in advance.  When I finally got the stamp, it was much smaller than I envisioned and got lost on this card.  So I found my trusty Martha Stewart tags (they are called tags but are actually a variety of doilies) and dropped one behind the owl - suddenly, the focus is where it belongs!

  • Stamps: Stampin' Up Gift Givers, Teeny Tiny Wishes
  • Paper: Stampin' Up Crumb Cake, Regal Rose, Pretty in Pink, Berry Bliss dsp
  • Ink: Memento Black, copics
  • Accessories: EK Success ribbon slot punch, Papertrey Hibiscus ribbon, Stampin' Up heart punch and scalloped heart sizzlit, misc heart gems, Martha Stewart tags (doilies)

21 comments:

  1. Kim, this is utterly adorable; I can almost hear your niece's squeals of delight in advance!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful this is! The little doily is the perfect background for the heart and I love that ribbon! So glad you have joined the team this month!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so sweet! Love the owl and the threaded ribbon is wonderful! It's great having you on the team this month!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so adorable! your niece will love it!! I love how you did the ribbon, and your bow is just too perfect!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful card: so sweet with the ribbon threaded through. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. SO cute, Kim! Love that woven ribbon treatment and the details on that sweet owl image. Too cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Big congratulations on your guest designer spot Kim. Gorgeous card, it's beautifully embellished.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an adorable Valentine for a little girl! I love the ribbon treatment and the sparkles hanging with the owl.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is SO cute Kim!! Because of the other card you made this week with the doily/tags from MS, I went and bought some! Can't wait to use them. So excited to have you on the team for the month!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You always have the sweetest, most clever cards. I love how you did the ribbon and all your different subtle layers. Your niece is one lucky little girl. : )

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah...beautiful! Simply beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh! Kim this is a new challenge to me! And I think I've found something that really appeals, clean lines but lots of detail! Love love your card, that owl is the cutest! Gorgeous ribbon threading too, a superb creation!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So glad to have you aboard Kim! The doily is such a pretty accent behind the heart. I'm sure your niece will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh wow! Oh wow! I am sooooo keen to try this sketch challenge ... but am a little afraid after seeing this magnificent creation! Oh so pretty details, Kim! You are such a star! I am sure the FMS team will love having you join them for February! Hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Whoop whoop! Big congrats on your guest designer post! so awesome! And I love this sweet card. The pinks look fabulous with the kraft (must remember that), love the woven ribbon and the doily s the perfect touch. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Stunning Kim ... I love this gorgeous card and that ribbon treatment is divine ... yep, your sentiment panel is a stroke of sheer brilliance and i love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very pretty and just the right amount of girlie!

    Well done one your guest dt spot, it's well deserved. x

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is a really pretty card!! Love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful card, the little owl is adorable and I love the doily.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Kim - this is adorable! Love the ribbon threaded through, it was the first thing that caught my eye. Congrats on the DT position and can't wait to your work over the course of the month!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my card! I do get spam comments so your comment will be held until I read it and release it!